Last night Kevin Corrigan was telling a story about hanging out with Al Pacino at a diner. He and some buddies had put on a play, and Pacino came to see it and took them all out afterwards. This is way back when KC was just starting out. He paraphrased Pacino, and I'm in turn going to paraphrase him. He said that we're all actors. That everybody is the lead in their own movie.
I think about acting a lot. I started acting pretty young. I was 15. I found that a lot of the skills I learned there were useful in what we call "regular life." Not always in an admirable way. I can lie pretty convincingly. I'm pretty good at manipulating my emotions. I'm self-analytical to a fault. I try not to use that stuff for evil, but it's in my pocket.
What I realized, though, when Corrigan espoused this idea of every person's life being their own movie, is that I'm not sure I see myself as the lead in mine. I'm definitely more than a spectator, and I think I drive more of the action than an extra. Am I a supporting player? Am I crew? An executive producer? (Probably not. They usually have money.) I'm not sure. But from now on, my goal is to be the lead. I don't know if I have to audition or how exactly this works, but whatever it takes. This should be a good part. Probably needs a few rewrites, but I think it has a lot of potential. Thanks, Kevin Corrigan!
Monday, June 23, 2014
- A dude is mad at a whale.
- A guy's mother dies, so he kills a guy but doesn't feel anything.
- An old guy goes crazy, and everybody's mean to him.
- Jewish Irish guy has a weird day then gets laid.
- Guy gets really confused 'cause his plane got shot up.
- A French dude has a crush on his neighbor, so they do all sorts of pervy shit.
- A bunch of people drive a dead lady cross-country, but they can't get their stories straight.
- A dude joins up with some scalp hunters who proceed to be horrible.
- A guy should not have taken so many drugs in Las Vegas.
- Some poor people take a road trip.
- A lady gets mad at her gay husband and his weird family.
- Everybody goes crazy from drugs and pleasure, but some of them are really good at tennis.
- A guy shoots drugs and talks crazy conspiracy stuff, inadvertently inspires worst band.
- Strong-handed Swede kills a monster, his mother, and a dragon, calls it a day.
A. Infinite Jest
B. As I Lay Dying
C. Moby Dick
E. King Lear
F. Catch 22
G. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
H. Naked Lunch
I. Blood Meridian
J. The Stranger
K. The Grapes of Wrath
M. The Story of the Eye
N. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas